In this tutorial, You will learn about JQuery, the
need for it, as well as its benefits.
- jQuery library was originally created by John Resig in
early 2006 with the nice motto - Write less, do more.
library. The main purpose of jQuery is to make it much easier to use
- It's easy-to-use APIs makes the
things like HTML document traversal and manipulation, event handling, adding
animation effects to a web page much simpler that works seamlessly across all
the major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc.
- jQuery also gives you the ability to create an Ajax based application in a quick
and simple way.
- Many of the biggest companies like Google, Microsoft and IBM are using the
jQuery to develop their applications.
- Before you start studying jQuery, you should have a basic knowledge of
AJAX calls and DOM manipulation. The jQuery library contains the following
- HTML/DOM manipulation
- CSS manipulation
- HTML event methods
- Effects and animations
Why do we need jQuery?
The following points which defines need of jQuery.
provides the same functionality.s
- It simplifies a lot of the complicated things
- It makes event handling,
animation much simpler. It has an easy-to-use API that runs across a large
number of browsers.
Basically, It makes development faster and reduces time and effort.
Why Should not use jQuery?
The following points which defines no need of jQuery.
- It doesn’t do anything you can’t do on your own.
- It’s an unnecessary dependency.
- Reduces performance.
- It’s old and everyone has moved to React/Angular/Vue.
Advantages of using jQuery
If jQuery is unfamiliar to you, you might be
asking what makes it unique. There are a number of benefits to choosing jQuery.
- Absolutely Free - And the best part is, it is completely free to download and
- Available Plugins - It has already available plugins,
which make developers’ life easy.
- Cross-Browser Support - It has cross-browser support.
- Built-in Animation - It have predefined method
"animate()" for create custom animation on web-page.
- Save lots of time - You can save lots of time and efforts by using the jQuery
inbuilt effects and selectors and concentrate on other development work.
rich and interactive web pages with fewer lines of codes, an example would
be using Ajax to update a page's content without reloading it.
- Easy to use - jQuery is very easy to use. Anybody with the basic working
is compatible with all major modern browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari,
Internet Explorer, etc.
- It is a very lightweight library with a size of about only 19KB.
Disadvantages of using jQuery
There are a number of disadvantages to choosing jQuery.
- Unsuitable for complex projects - You can manipulate
DOM elements easily with jQuery. The features of jQuery are limited when you’re
working on complex projects. Therefore, they are not suitable for large or
complex projects where additional resources are needed.
- Debugging issues - Libraries and plugins grow in
number along with their sizes and dependencies in projects. Debugging will
- Requires understanding of CSS - You must
understand the basics of CSS. Classes and IDs are also essential CSS
selectors to know.